The small island of Mauritius is located in the Indian Ocean only four hours flight from Johannesburg and is without doubt a tropical paradise. The people on the island are friendly, always with a smile on their face, the hotels and beach resorts offer near perfect service quality, there are spectacular white sandy beaches, warm water and tropical temperatures nearly through-out the year. Mauritius is the ideal holiday destinations, if you only want to relax and spend time in the sun and at the beach.
Mauritius is primarily a sun, sand and sea holiday destination. The biggest attraction therefore is the white sandy beaches, the tropical warm temperatures and the calm blue ocean. An enjoyable holiday often is dependant of the right choice of hotel and beach resort and in what area the hotel is located on the island.
Apart from the beach holiday, there are a few sights on Mauritius which are well worth a visit during your stay:
- Port Louis: This is the capital city and also the oldest city on the island. The city consists of a mixture of British, French and modern architecture combined with lively street markets selling creole arts and crafts.
- Route Royale: Port Louis is connected to the inner parts of the island through the old Route Royale. This scenic route combines some of the most beautiful towns and cities of the island, giving the visitor a good insight on the daily lives of the Mauritian people. Especially the towns of Beau Bassin, Rose Hill, Quatre Borne und Curepipe are worth a visit.
- Grand Baie: The big bay in the northwestern part of Mauritius is the main holiday destination on Mauritius. Through-out the year one can expect sunny and warm weather and the calm sea in the bay is most invinting fro all beach and sea lovers. Here you will also find a vast variety of hotels, beach resorts, small restaurants and night clubs for your entertainment.
- Le Morne: The Le Morne Brabant is a rocky cliff, which rises from the beach to a remarkable hight of more than 550m and has become the natural landmark of Mauritius. The cliffs forms a peninsula which boasts some of the best beaches of the island and idela bathing conditions. Active travelers can also join mountain tours onto Le Morne, if the weather permits it.
- Pamplemousses: The Royal Gardens of Pamplemousse are surely the most well-known attraction on Mauritius. These botanical gardens have already been established in 1735. Along various paths and walkways you can explore a vast variety of flowers, trees and tropical plants.